fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "offshore account" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447005807937 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Ciudad, Argentina; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Jeffrey Rice [Mr]" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 08:37:00 -0700
Subject: Business Deal...Greetings
I am Mr Jeffrey Rice a personal chief financial treasurer to Mikhail
Khodorkovsky the Richest man in Russia and owner of the following companies: Chairman CEO: YUKOS OIL (Russian Largest Oil Company) Chairman CEO: Menatep SBP Bank (A well reputable financial institution with it´s Branches all over the world) SOURCE OF FUNDS: I have a profiling amount to the tune of ($15,100,000.00) (Fifteen million,one hundred thousand dollars) which I seek your Partnership in accommodating for me. You will be rewarded with 30% of the total sum for your partnership. Can you be my partner on this? Already the funds have left the shore of Russia through diplimatic means to a European Holding financial institution where the final crediting is expected to be carried out. While I was on the process, My Boss got arrested for his Involvement in politics by financing the leading And opposing political parties (the Union of Right Forces, led by Boris Nemtsov, and Yabloko, a liberal/social democratic party Led by Gregor Yavlinsky) which posed a great treat to President
Vladimir Putin Second Tenure as
http://newsfromrussia.com/main/2003/11/13/51215.html YOUR ROLE:
These funds are secured in as escrow account in finanacial institution in the United Kingdom and can be transferred from the escrow account to your personal or business account once you have assured me of your ability and capacity to receive the funds for disbursement amongst the two of us at a ration i stated above. The funds were deposited in my name as a front for my client and all documents in relation to this bears my name to avoid the search by the government, so you need not entertain any worries.
To verify, please call the ATM Number of the Bank: +447005807937, I would provide you the Escrow account details of the offshore account to enable you verify the existence of these funds. Once you have verified and you are in a position to assist in receiving the funds on my behalf, then I would provide you more details.
All I need from you is to stand as the beneficiary of the above quoted sum and I will re-profile the funds with your name, which will enable the European Holding financial institution transfer the sum to you. I have decided to use this sum to relocate to American continent and never to be connected to any of Mikhail khodorkovsky conglomerates. The transaction has to be concluded within 5 to 10 working days, as soon as I confirm your readiness to conclude the transaction with me. Contact me via my private box firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can furnish you with more details. Thank you very much.
Jeffrey Rice [Mr]