fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "ENGR. CHRISTOPHER KWADWO" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 03:55:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: REPRESENTATIVE NEEDED.
I am Mr. Christopher Kwadwo. The Managing Director of Akubea Mining & Farming Co. LTD, Accra Ghana.
Our company is the leading Gold selling company in the Ghana. We sell Gold to clients in U.S.A, Europe and Asian countries.
we are currently seeking part or full time employees for our ever-growing Accounts Receivable Department. Through extensive demographic research, we have discovered a wealth of untapped human resources that, for one reason or another, need the freedom to work from home. If this sounds like you, please read on, and consider becoming part of our company family, as part of our ongoing Multi Level Marketing Network, we seek capable individuals to work for us as our representative. You can easily make $600-$900 or more in a week by working for us as Sub-contractor in your geographical location, you will be in charge of collecting payment on behalf of our affiliates and Small business organizations that are registered under us. Does it sound like your dream job? Well, it certainly for 1000+current members who are making $600- $900 weekly online with this system. Note that no form of investment is needed from you and this job will take only 1-3 hours of your
time per week.
THIS IS WHAT IT ENTAILS:
1. Get/receive payment from clients/Customers.
2. Process Payments at your Bank.
3. Deduct 10% which is your commission/Payment on check cashed.
4. Forward the remaining 90% to the information that will be provided later on.
Note: If you still get buyer of Gold for our company will be highly compensated.
I will need you to provide me with your basic personal info such as:
Full Mailing Address:
Direct Telephone Number:
Means Of Identification e.g. Int'l Passport Or driving License:
Fill the above information so as to qualify you for the position and send it to my private email = firstname.lastname@example.org .
Mr. Christopher Kwadwo
Akubea Mining & Farming Co. Ltd.