fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DR. PAUL M. KAIRO" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:34:39 -0800
Subject: IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR INHERITANCE PAYMENT CONTACT IMMEDIATELY WITH THE INFORMATION REQUIRED
OFFICE OF THE NEW APOINTED
FOREIGN DEBT PAYMENT DIRECTOR OF (C.B.N)
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
ZARIA STREET,GARKI 11,ABUJA
P.M.B 0187,GARKI ABUJA
DIRECT LINE: + 234-809-909-3060
Contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR INHERITANCE FUND OF US$10,500,000.00
I write to inform you that authorization has been passed by the U.S president Barrack Obama in conjunction with the World Bank (WB) to the New assumed President Good Luck Jonathan on his visit to the White house to Urgently Release all Foreign payment to individuals who are beneficiaries of the Contract/Inheritance fund before November 2010 financal audit/G-8 Summit.
Therefore as the newly apointed Foreign Debt payment director of the Central Bank of Nigeria i have been mandated to investigate the unnecessary delay of your outstanding payment which was as a result of disappointment and fraudulent attitude discovered from some previous illicit individuals and officials in Nigeria and overseas (offshore).
In this regard, we hereby inform you to dis-continue of various offices, agencies, ministries, parastatals and personalities that have been used and abused by the numerous corrupt officials and impersonators to extort money illegally from you in pretence as the officials to release your over-due payment .
I have also been empowered to recommend and approve your claims for payment immediately is certified genuine. During the course of our investigation, we discovered with dismay that your payment has been unnecessarily delayed by the corrupted previous Governor of central bank of Nigeria Prof. Chukwuma C. Soludo and others officials of the banks who tried to divert your fund.
Consequent upon the aforementioned, with the vector power vested upon me also by the executive secretary of the United States Department of The Treasury , to ensure your contract/Inheritance fund of Ten Million, Five Hundred thousand United States Dollars ($US10.5M) is released from the First bank of Nigeria accredited bank's account where it has been directed to.
Note, the G-8 directors has instructed the Nigerian authority to instruct the paying Bank to packed the fund in trunk boxes and deliver them to your door step in cash since It was discovered that officials of the foreign transfer bodies put up illegal requirements for international wire transfer .
The Diplomat who will accompany the funds will not know the contents of the Trunk Boxes for security reasons so once the Diplomat arrives you will be notified So that you will go personally to the Airport to claim your Consignment.
You are requested to Re-confirm the following information to me by e-mail:
(1) Your full name.
(2) Phone, fax and mobile #.
(3) Companys name, position and address.
(4) Profession, age and marital status.
(5) Copy of int'l passport or any scanned identity to prove you.
Be informed that the above information will only enable me to make due Confirmation and You are also required to get prepared to Clear the Consignment as soon as the Diplomat arrives, with this Medium you will not be subjected to any illegal bills for any Documents from any office before you receive your Inheritance funds of US$10,500.000.00 ONLY.
DR. PAUL M. KAIRO.
NEWLY APOINTED FOREIGN
PAYMENT DIRECTOR OF C.B.N