fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (This email address looks like addresses used in fake loan scams. Be suspicious of any lender who uses a free webmail address or who is based in different country from yourself.)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "GT LOAN" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 02:26:35 +0100
Subject: Are you facing any financial difficulties?
Hello loan seeker!
Are you facing any financial difficulties? Is your present situation not stable? Are you looking for a reliable source to get a loan with low interest rate? Then search no further because your problem is solved.
The GUARANTEE TRUST LOAN FIRM is your answer for loans. Do you need financial assistance to make your business function well? Need a loan, personal, Business or Student loan? And you do not know which loan firm to trust, where and how to get a loan from. An International Loans Company is here to offer you loan with low cost interest rate that you cannot have elsewhere. Loan interest rate is 2.0%
NOTE: The least amount we do give out as a loan is 10,000.00USD
IF interested, kindly fill the Online Application at http://www.guaranteetrustloan.co.cc/Online%20Application.htm
Fast and easy approval.For more information:
Contact us via email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site: http://www.guaranteetrustloan.co.cc
if you have any question on this loan kindly view this web link below :
GUARANTEE TRUST LOAN FIRM.Copyright © 2010. GUARANTEE TRUST INTERNATIONAL LOAN FIRM.