fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "your payment is being processed" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Centeral bank Of Thailand" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:18:34 +0700
Subject: DEAR FUNDS OWNER
DEAR FUNDS OWNER,
This is to notify you that during the auditing and closing of all financial records of the CENTRAL BANK OF THAILAND (CBT) it was discovered from the records of outstanding foreign beneficiaries due for payment with The Government Office. However, I wish to let you know that Your name came out as the next on the list of those who will receive their Long -awaited fund for the year 2010.
Furthermore,I wish to officially notify you that your payment is being processed and will be released to you as soon as you respond to this letter.Kindly re-confirm the information below to enable this office Proceed and finalize your fund remittance without further delays.
Furnish us with the information bellow:
1. YOUR FULL NAME
2. YOUR FULL ADDRESS
3. YOUR TELEPHONE/ FAX
5. A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT FOR PROPER IDENTIFICATION
6. YOUR OCCUPATION
7. YOUR BANKING DETAILS
As soon as the above information are received, your funds which is at the tune of $10,000,000,00 will be transferred to you through our online global wire transfer or through our bank delivery payment system.
Awaiting your urgent response to this official Notification.
DIRECTOR, WIRE & TELEX DEPT
CENTRAL BANK OF THAILAND. (CBT)