fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (126; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: kojima4 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:33:40 +0800 (CST)
Subject: COCACOLA ONLINE PROMOTIONS!!!
Special report, Note: PAYMENT TO MAKE ONLY BY ATM CARD
COCACOLA ONLINE PROMOTIONS!!!
THE COCA COLA COMPANY Hong Kong/China office is Giving Away a cash bonus of ($500,000.00) dollars only.
The Company is trying e-mail-to-e-mail advertising to introduce its products.
The reward you received for advertising for them is a cash prize of (500,000.00) dollars only.
Note: payment to make only by ATM card and by bank transfer.
To receive your cash/ATM card all you need to do is send us your
1.Name in full:
8.Short comment on our products. [optional]
Please bear with us since it is a new payment policy to eradicate fraud.
Within one week you will receive your card through swift card payment,
A draw has just been concluded in Hong Kong last weekend
(we contacted you via your email address
You must send your contact information to