fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: YOU ARE ADVISE TO CALL ME AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS MAIL ON 234-802-545-6094
I WAS SURPRISED THAT YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR FUND UPTILL TODAY.I WISH TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR FUND WILL BE TRANSFER TODAY INTO YOUR NORMINATED BANK ACCOUNT WITHIN 24 HOURS.
I AM THE VICE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA, I BELIEVE I CAN CONCLUDE THIS TRANSFER TODAY IMMEDAITELY I HEAR FROM YOU AND YOU ARE ADVISE TO RECOMFIRM YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER IMMEDAITELY.
BASED ON MY INVESTIGATION I NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE WASTED A LOT OF MONEY IN REGARDS TO THIS TRANSFER. I AM ADVISING YOU TO STOP ANY COMMUNICATION WITH ANY PERSON UNTILL YOU RECEIVE THIS FUND FROM MY OFFICE TODAY.
TO AVOID WRONG TRANSFER, RECOMFIRM YOUR BANKING INFORMATION AND CALL ME ON THIS NUMBER 234-802-545-6094
THIS OFFICE IS GIVEN YOU 100 %GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR FUND WITHIN 24 AS SOON AS YOU COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN TO YOU.
CONGRATULATION IN ADVANCE ONCE MORE.REMEMBER THIS TRANSFER IS CONFIDENTIAL, DUE TO A LOT OF IMPERNATORS, I WANT US TO USE A CODE WHICH IS WHAT IS THE CODE AND ANSWER IS IN GOD WE TRUST.
YOU ARE ADVISE TO CALL ME AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS MAIL ON 234-802-545-6094
YOU ARE ALSO ADVISE TO SEND TO US ALL INFORMATION OF ANY PERSON YOU HAVE SENT MONEY SO THAT WE CAN RECOVER THE MONEY AND SEND IT BACK TO YOU ,
DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
NOTE -THIS IS TO BRING TO YOUR NOTICE THAT YOUR FUND HAS BEEN APPROVED AND IS NOW WITH OUR OFFSHORE PAYMENT CENTER NOW IN AMERICA AND IT IS INCONJUCTION WITH THE UNITED NATION APPROVED FUND BECAUSE THE FUND WE HAVE IN UNITED OF AMERICA IS ENOUGH
THIS OUR OFFSHORE PAYMENT CENTRE IS WORKING WITH THE BANK OF AMERICA IN SAN FRAN IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA BUT YOU ARE ADVISE TO CONTACT THE NEW PAYMENT AGENT DR.LOUIS PARKER SO THAT THEY WILL PAY YOU TODAY.
YOU ARE ADVISE TO RECOMFIRM YOUR BANKING INFORMATION TO THEM AND I ASSURE YOU THAT THEY WILL CREDITE YOUR ACCOUNT VIA BANK OF AMERICA AS SOON AS YOU COMPLY WITH THERE INSTRUcTION.
I BELIEVED THAT YOUR DESTINY IS WITH YOU NOW. THEY PRESIDENT AND I HAVE ASKED THE BANK OF AMERICA IN SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 94116, U.S.A.TO CREDITE YOUR ACCOUNT TODAY IMMEDAITELY YOU COMPLY WITH THERE REQUEST .
YOU ARE ADVISE TO CONTACT THE NEW PAYMENT AGENT DR.LOUIS PARKER, ADDRESS: 2158 19TH AVENUE, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 94116, U.S.A.AND CALL HIM ON 1- 415-944-1976 VIA EMAIL - FOR IMMEDAITELY RELEASE OF YOUR FUND TODAY.
THIS IS FIRST COME , FIRST SERVE .
YOU ARE ADVISE TO RECOMFIRM YOUR BANKING INFORMATION INCLUDING YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER VIA MY EMAIL- firstname.lastname@example.org AND CALL ME ON 234-8025456094 NOW