fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- to contact rev luis zima immediately with this email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone number( +229 66758789 / +229 99531433) here is (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Betty Flectcher <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 01:03:30 +0900 (KST)
Subject: Pick your money now at Western Union Money Transfer
This is to bring to your notice that my office has taking over all the money Transaction originated from Africa/ Europe and Asia counties etc. as Contract payment, Fund inheritance or Lottery Winning, Atm Debit cards, henceforth commercial banks, Security Companies, Atm Credit and Debit Union including any offshore payment centers are no more authorized to handle release of funds.
We want to inform you that your $5000 has been release today from western union and we want you to contact Rev Luis Zima immediately with this email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone number( +229 66758789 / +229 99531433)
Here is the information the western union office need from you.
your full name____________
your phone numbers____________
Kindly Contact Western union Agent:
REV LUIS ZIMA
Phone: +229 66758789 / +229 99531433
Though, We have sent $5,000.00 in your name today so contact REV LUIS ZIMA and tell him to give you the Mtcn, sender name, question and answer to pick the $5,000.00. He will be sending you $5000 until he finish sending the whole amount to you which is $1.5M USD, One Million Five Hundred Thousands Dollars.
You will pay small amount of money for PIN CODE before you can pick up your money. This is the only charges you have to pay to Western Union for your information.
Mrs Betty Flectcher