fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- required. contact person: mr.tony eric email email@example.com he is waiting to hear from you today with the (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: BARRISTER OSHODI OKE <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:55:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Urgent Reply From Diplomat Eric.
We wish to inform you that the diplomatic agent conveying the consignment box valued the sumÂ of $3.5 Million United States Dollars is currently stranded at Columbia International airportÂ Now. We required you to reconfirm the following informationâs below so that he can deliverÂ your consignment box to you today.
NAME OF YOUR NEAREST AIRPORT------
A COPY OF YOUR IDENTIFICATION ________
COMPANY REG NO:EG7733
CODE NUMBER: 886531
Also make you that you forward your Code Number and Company Registrations number to himÂ Because it is very important to enable him locate your Package. Please do contact theÂ Diplomatic agent with the email below with the informationâs required.
Contact Person: Mr.Tony Eric
He is waiting to hear from you today with the informationâs,
NOTE: The Diplomatic agent does not know that the content of the consignment box is $3.5Â Million United States Dollars,here is the Tracking Numer of your package that was sent to you to track and see where the diplomat it is right now to contact him for the delivery to take place immidiately.
YOUR PACKAGE IS SENT
BARRISTER OSHODI OKE.
UPS DELIVERY COMPANY.