fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "FEDERAL HIGH COURT NIGERIA" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 01:18:53 -0700
Subject: FROM THE DESK OF FEDERAL HIGH COURT NIGERIA
FROM THE DESK OF FEDERAL HIGH COURT NIGERIA
This to acknowledge you that your e-mail address is found among those that have been scammed, and the compensation have been approved from the supreme high court here in Nigeria and we are asked to contact you by the Nigeria president
on how to send you the($3.5million) united state dollars by the diplomatic courier and the fund as been cash in dollars here in Nigeria bank So you are advice to get back to us for your fund.
full Contact information such as..
Your home address
With your international passport, or drivers lances or state I.D
For more information on how to make the money send to you because many People complain about scamming every day from Nigeria and we are trying to stop this fraudulent from Nigeria and i sure you that it will stop because we are now working with the internet operation such as YAHOOMAIL,HOTMAIL and also the united state FBI and Nigeria police with Nigeria EFCC so the scam can be eradicated in this country and I want you to follow your fund code which follow bellow, and whish is given to you by the
high court of Nigeria and the code is (NG74678FGN)
And I want you to keep this code, because this code will ensure you and Alert you in any day you receive a scam e-mail from this country.And You are to get back to us with all the scam email you received from those scammers so that we can forward everything to the Nigeria president office to issue out your award certificate as the rightful beneficiary of the($3.5million)united state dollars from the president of Nigeria.
You will receive your fund from the high court because as soon as you get back to the court for your fund the court we alert the united state bureau and also your state police for the fund to be deliver to you without any restriction and problem when the fund get to you in your location area.
Dr. BRAIN GREEN.