fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "toyota car promotions" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand great british pounds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447024078603 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: TOYOTA CORPORATION <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:11:16 +0100
Subject: =?windows-1256?Q?TOYOTA_PRI?= =?windows-1256?B?WkX+/v4=?=
The Lottery Department
Road High Wycombe HP10 0N
We got your email containing
your claims code and we ones more congratulate you for emerging as one of the
final winners of our sweepstakes ,Mobile numbers of various mobile
telecommunication networks,were randomly selected in our computer ballot system
and yours was luckily selected,You are hereby a lucky
winner of a cash sum payout of 500,000.00 GBP ( Five Hundred Thousand Great
British Pounds ) and a brand new Toyota car (Toyota Camry 2011 model) .On this note we Congratulate you.
To start off the process of delivering of your winning cash prize and your car prize to you,you must have to fill correctly our prize declaration form,
as soon as your declaration has been received, your winning draft will be signed
and deposited with the paying bank, furthermore an instant notification will be
sent to you as soon as your draft has been signed and deposited with the paying
bank, notifying you of the paying bank as well as their contact. As soon as you
receive their contact, you are to establish contact with the bank and find out
all modalities involved in the transfer of your funds (GBP
500,000.00).Also every details and modalities for the
prompt delivery of your car to you will be done simultaneously with the bank
transfer procedure of your cash prize.
1. Name in full
............................................. in good health and sound mental
state on this day the......... day in the month of .............
declare that the information I have filled above are
+44 702 407