fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mary Me <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:22:35 +0530 (IST)
Subject: This is your message, I work with the united nation (U.N.I.C.E.F)
My name is Mr Issa Kabore;
Cell Phone +226 72 70 2416
I work with the united nation for children fund (U.N.I.C.E.F)
My purpose of writing to you is that I want to exposed one secret to you and in this secret, you and I will benefit from it, if itâs the will of Almighty GOD.
In all organization everyone have his way to survive, apart from the salary.
My own extra affair with my organization is that any contract given out, I always used someone to executive it and I always stand as sponsor. I and the person will just be in mutual agreement of percentage.
In the beginning of last year my organization gives out a sponsored program from PTF and World bank called eradicate Polio out of Africa and this contract is 10.5million us dollar, I finances this contract with one of my old friend called Mr. Abdullah ali Mustapha from Libya and we execute this contract perfectly.
But he got crash in car accident and he died, no one from my organization knows this has happen to him and now the fund is due for payment and if soon no one comes for the claim, my life will run because I take a loan of almost nine hundred thousand Us dollar to finish this contract.
Now itâs not possible for me to claim this fund without someone outside this country, to stand as the next of kin to late Mr. Abdullah Ali Mustapha.
This deal will cost you no risk just give me a promise you will not betrayed me and contact me on my personal email below for further discussion
Please if you are not interested do not exposed my message to anyone.
I will be waiting for your reply in my private box below.