fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: halibu vivian <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 04:56:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Dear respectful one.
From Ms Vivian Halibu.
Address:634B Marcoury Ramblais.
My age:20 years.
Dear respectful one.
It's my pleasure to contact you for a business venture which I intend to establish with you in your country or any safe area you finds suitable, thou we have not mate before, but one have to believe in someone in the time of difficulties before having a success in life,i made up my mind disclosing this transaction to you alone after going through your profile on the international web directory. I am 20 years old the only child of my late parent Late Mr & Mrs Ihuge .T. Halibu, Native of Yamoussoukrou Cote D'ivoire, there is this amount of Four Million, five hundred thousand united state dollars ($4.500, 000.00usd) which my late father deposited in a finance firm in a deposit house with my name as immediate next of kin, before he was assassinated by some unknown enemies on the 27th day of April 2008. Now I have decided to invest this money in your country or anywhere safe enough for security and political crisis going on in my country since 28th
Presidential election that keep my country in a bloody battle with the opposition party and Incumbent president. I urge that you help me urgently in retrieving my fund to your country as my late fathers foreign partner whom will stand for the retrieval of my inheritance fund with the deposit firm here in ivory coast and help me invest the money in any venture you finds good in your country.you can find more details of the crisis in my country through bellow site that push me into this decision of seeking your sincere assistance for my fund safety and my life too.
Now permit me to ask these few questions for a better understanding:-
1. Can you honestly help me as your own sister?
2. Can I completely trust you ?
3. Can you get me a good school for the continuation of my educational Carrier which was disrupts by the sudden death of my parents on my arrival to your country after you have receive my inheritance in your position?
Moreover, dear i am willing to offer you reasonable percentage of the total sum as compensation for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated account overseas.Furthermore, you indicate your options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14)days you signify interest to assist me. Anticipating to hear from you soon.please try to contact me with your personal mobile number.
Further details will be made known to you as i look forward to your urgent response.
Thanks and remain Blessed,
Miss Vivian Halibu..