fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a company representative scam. This type of job offer scam involves the cashing of fake checks and money orders. It could expose you to losses of tens of thousands of dollars as well as to the risk of criminal prosecution and (in some cases) imprisonment.
Fraud email example:
From: "SINOSTEEL CORPORATION" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:38:03 +0100
Subject: RE: Occupy The Position of Funds Processing Manager
Sinosteel Zhejiang Co., Ltd
25th floor, CBD plaza, 369 Changjiang road.
Would you like to work online from home/temporarily and earn constant payment? We are glad to offer you a job position in our company, Sinosteel Zhejiang
Co., Ltd. We permanently need new people to occupy the position of Funds Processing Manager, able to receive and send payments between our partner's
clients and our company. This part-time job does not require special skills.
You do not have to spend much time to earn sufficient money as extra; this is in view of our not having an office presently in the USA/UK/Canada. You do
not need to have an Office and this certainly will not disturb any form of work you have at present.
*** REQUIREMENTS ***
- Honesty, Responsibility and Promptness in operations;
- PC with Internet and e-mail access;
- We do not work with persons under 18
- Postal/Mailing address. (Office or home)
YOUR ROLES ARE:
1. Receiving payment from our Customers
2. Cash Payments at your Bank
3. Deduct 10%, which will be your percentage
4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to any of the offices
will be instructed to send payment.
Instructions on how to remit the company's balance 90%, after you have deducted your 10% will be given to you. We understand it is an unusual and
incredible job position. This job takes couple of hours per week. You will have a lot of free time doing your permanent job, but this job is very
challenging and you should understand it. We are looking only for the worker who satisfies our requirements and will be a Co-operative assistant. We
areglad to offer this job position to you if you are capable and fit to carry out the tasks stated above, and you want to work for Sinosteel Zhejiang Co.,
Please contact us for more information via email below with this Filled out
Mr. Jason Butcher
Sinosteel Zhejiang Co., Ltd