fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- your review. please ensure that your response is sent to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org regards engr. josef martin (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Virgil Smith" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 03:56:46 +0800
Subject: INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIP
Dear Sir/ Madam,
My name is Josef Martin (Mr). I work for Royal Dutch Shell Plc. I am seeking for your cooperation in investing the sum of USD8.5M (Eight Million Five Hundred Thousand) in a production company ,Tourist Hotel , Real Estate or any profitable investment.
I need an experienced and honest person to assist me to set up, develop the investment project and assume responsibility of ownership as chairman, but will be bringing in profit /distribute profit quarterly or annually, if you are interested I need your immediate reply, which will be highly appreciated and I shall give you more information and further details on this project, upon receiving your response. Attached is an investment agreement for your review. Please ensure that your response is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
Engr. Josef Martin
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This transmission contains confidential
information. The information is private and intended only for the use of the
recipient whose email appears above. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this document is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, OR you are not interested in this proposal at this time please immediately Delete same.