fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045713655 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Ms Nancy Mullin" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:08:27 -0800
Subject: Hello Dear
I'm Ms Nancy Mullin of Aspen, CO 81611. I'm a US citizen, I'm 51yrs Old. I'm one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years
ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over $38,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail.
So I decided to travel down to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, and I was to contact Barrister Ben Bruce, who is the member of COMPENSATION
AWARD AUTHORITY and a Human Rights Activist (Lawyer) in the United Kingdom (Branch), and I contacted him and he explained everything to me and traveled down to meet with me in person. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are
He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment. Right now I'm the most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds amounting to $11,000,000.00 Moreover, Barrister Ben Bruce, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your email as one of the scam victims, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact Barrister Ben Bruce and he his presently in the United Kingdom but he can travel down there to help you claim your funds because that is his line of business.
Note that the only money I paid to Barrister Ben Bruce before I got my compensation funds was just $195 for the preparation of the legal documents to claim my funds. I will advice that once you contact him let him know your information and tell him you are ready to pay the require fees only and at the end of it you will smile like me.
You have to contact him directly on this information below.
COMPENSATION AWARD AUTHORITY
Name: Barrister Ben Bruce (Legal Practitioner And Adviser)
Phone: +44 704 571 3655
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing.
The only money I paid after I met Barrister Ben Bruce was just $195 for the paper works, take note of that.
Thank You and Be Blessed.
Ms Nancy Mullin
Trustee/Treasurer, Triad Foundation Inc.
506 E. Main Street,
Ste 21. Aspen, CO 81611
Education: BS, Business Administration