fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "PARKS FINANCIAL INCORPORATION" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:41:58 +0200 (EET)
PARKS FINANCIAL INCORPORATION
H7BWP Sandholm,Bridge End Rd
Suffolk, IP28 8LQ
Red Lodge Bury St,Yorkshire
DIRECTOR/ Dr Parks Hyde:
Are you tired of Seeking Loans and Mortgages,have you Been Turned down
constantly By your banks and Other Financial Institutions.
We Offer LOANS ranging from $10,000.00 Min. to $10,000,000.00 Max. at 4%
interest rate per annun. LOANS for developing business a competitive
edge/business expansion. We are certified, trustworthy, reliable,
efficient,Fastand dynamic. and a co-operate financier for real estate and
any kinds of business financing, we give out long term loan for five to
fifty years maximum.
We offer the following kinds of loans and many more;
* Personal Loans ( Unsecured Loan)
* Business Loans ( Unsecured Loan)
* Consolidation Loan
* Combination Loan
you are to provide the underslisted informations.
First Name: __________Surname: ____________ Last Name: ____________
Sex: ________ Date of birth: ______ Month: ________ Year: __________
Country: __________ State: ________ Code: _________ Tel: _____________
Occupation: _______________ Monthly Income: ___________
Loan Amount Needed: ___________________ Loan Duration: ______________
Yours In Service
Dr Parks Hyde