fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Jerome Corsi Odinga Jnr" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:34:46 -0500
Subject: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND GET BACK TO US ON OUR PRIVATE EMAIL (
My name is Jerome Corsi Odinga Jnr and my sister Jane Corsi Odinga,we are
National,who is currently at the Bujumbura Refugee Camp Accra Ghana.Please i
will like you to assist me and my sister to retrieve and receive our
consignment over there in American that contains $25million United States
dollars and some quantity of gold and Diamond, which I cannot specify.
The consignment is presently in American.The consignments get to the state
through the help of a diplomatic courier agent Mr.Chambas Mohamed IBN The
fact is that Mr.Chambas Mohamed IBN is suppose to have delivered the
consignment to a man called MR.WAYNE RICHARDSON in American.
The week Mr.Chambas Mohamed IBN is suppose to deliver the consignment to
him, when he got to American after clearing the consignment from the
Airport,he call MR.WAYNE RICHARDSON to tell him the description to his
house for the delivery,but his wife answered the call and told Mr.Chambas
Mohamed IBN that her husband MR.WAYNE RICHARDSON hard a fatal car accident
which lead to his death some few hours later.MR.WAYNE RICHARDSON has
already paid the demur rages from the security company, he paid for
Bullion van that took the consignment to the airport and he paid for
custom check report he also assisted us in getting the DRUG / ANTI
TERRORIST CERTIFICATE, but he has already acquire it,but unfortunately he
died in a car accident, that was why Mr.Chambas Mohamed IBN has to deposit
the consignment with a warehouse over there in American and called us to
informed us about what is happening,and told us to look for a new
beneficiary to received the consignment.
So please i will like you to assist me and my Sister to received the
consignment from the diplomat in the UNITED STATE OF AMERICA NOW.If you
accept to assist us in being our new beneficiary please kindly get back to
us with your delivery address and phone number so we can forward to the
courier agent in UNITED STATE OF AMERICA,for him to contact you for
immediate delivery of our consignment to you.
Please reply our private email below,
Thanks and God bless you
Jerome Corsi Odinga Jnr.