fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Nancy Young" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:07:31 -0700
Subject: MAIL DISPATCHER/ACCOUNT RECIEVEABLE OFFICER NEEDED
We have a job opening for the position of Accounts payable /Mail Dispatcher officer. Our company is one of the major Manufacturing and supplier company to the united states based in CHINA.The company thus has a large base of workers part time/full time accross the globe.Would you like to work from your home and get paid bi-weekly? We are offering this position to all interested applicants.
Here are a few questions we would like to ask you in respect of the job position offered.
1) can you tell us in summary about your past job experiences?
2) Have you any experiences in making online payments with the use of software facilities such as either versa gold 2008 check printing software or billpay?If NO/YES please state emphatical:YES or NO Yes,
3) Do you have a full time job at the moment?
4) Can you work part-time about one hour daily?
5) Do you have a Laserjet printer or a colored printer,scanner,typewriter?
6) Do you have a yahoo messenger? if yes whats your messenger screen name?
7) Have you ever dispatch any letter or package using ups and having to either prepare the label or
using airway bills?
8)Are you Diligent,Hardwworking and Smart ?
9)Do you have an id on your yahoo IM to chat with?Please provide with it..
Here are the details needed by the company in order to have your data
Phone and Cell Number:-
YAHOO OR MSN Messenger ID
The company needs a dispatcher that can work for the company from home and get paid every MONTH for $350.PLS NOTE:That there is an oppurtunity for you to be trained in these aspect by one of our Admin/Customer care Personnel on how to go about all these.All you Need to do is to answer the questions above and you will still have the oppurtunity of working with the company.For more information email the Staffing and Recruitment
department:email@example.com .Please if interested Kindly add the id on your yahoo IM to chat with one of our representative : dreamyoung_1960
Thanks For Your Total Understanding.
Staffing and Recruiting Dept,