fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "EURO MILLIONES LOTTERY ESPAÑAL" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:30:36 +0100
EURO MILLIONES LOTTERY ESPAÑAL
C / CORDOBA Nº 14 PLANTA 2-A
28089 MADRID, ESPANA
FROM:THE DESK OF THE PROMOTIONS MANAGER,
INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT,
DATE...16th february ,2011
AWARD NOTIFICATION;FINAL NOTICE
We are pleased to inform you of the announcement today,16th february 2011, winners of the EURO MILLIONES LOTTERY COMPANY S.A PROGRAMES held on the 10th february 2011.Your email address is attached to ticket number:023-0148-790-459,with serial number 5073-11 that drew the lucky numbers 43-11-44-37-10-43,and consequently won the lottey in the 2nd category. You have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay of EURO 615.810.000 ( SEX HUNDREN AND FIFTEEN THOUNSAND EIGHT HUNDREN AND TEN EUROS) in cash credited to file REF NO. 67/80/IPD.This is from total prize money of 20,000,000.00 shared among the international winners in the first and second category.All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from 25,000 names from Australia,New Zealand,America,Europe,North America and Asia as part of International Promotions Program, which is conducted at every three years.
Your fund is now deposited with a security company(MAYOR SEGUROS ESPAÑA) insured in your name.Due to the mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep this award strictly from public notice until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to your account. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming or unscrupulous acts by participants of this program. We hope with a part of your prize,you will participate in our next high stakes US$1.3 billion international lottery.
To begin your claims,please contact your agent;DR mata gonzalez( KT,SSS,ACIB )
FOREIGN OPERATION DIRECTOR,
Email,( mayorsagulottawd@gma?il.com )
For due processing and remittance of your prize money to a designated account of your choice. Remember, all prize money must be claimed not later than two weeks 2011.After this date, all funds will be returned as unclaimed to the MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA Y HACIENDA AS UNCLAIMED.NOTE:In order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications,please remember to quote your reference and batch numbers in every one of your correspondences with your claim agent.
Furthermore.if there is any change of your address,do inform your claims agent as soon as possible.Congratulations again from all our staffs and thank you for being part of our promotions program.
Ms Deborah luis
EURO MILLIONES SPANISH LOTTERY S.A