fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a company representative scam. This type of job offer scam involves the cashing of fake checks and money orders. It could expose you to losses of tens of thousands of dollars as well as to the risk of criminal prosecution and (in some cases) imprisonment.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "JT Recruiting, LLC" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 05:43:50 -0800
Subject: We are glad to offer you a job position!
JT Recruiting, LLC delivers the highest quality candidates to the highest quality companies.
Would you like to work online from home, temporarily and get paid weekly?
If yes. We are glad to offer you a job position in our company, JT Recruiting, LLC .As part of our Multi Level Marketing Network, we seek capable individuals to work for us as our Store representative in the United Kingdom..
This offer as our company representative can be taken as a part time job as it has no negative effect on your present job status.
JT Recruiting, LLC is a national recruiting and career placement firm specializing in sales representatives, sales executives, and sales managers. JT Recruiting, LLC currently operates out of United Kingdom.
About JT Recruiting, LLC Since inception, JT Recruiting, LLC is rapidly becoming a brand name in the industry, thanks to the expertise of our management staff. Our management team includes two individuals whose combined backgrounds represent over 25 years of professional experience in the sales, management, and recruiting industry flow is seamlessly integrated through a company-wide computer network.
* The average monthly income is about $8,000 * No form of investments from you. * This job takes only 1-3 hours per day. Our Company manufactures and sells textile and fabrics, we have seller all over
Your task is to coordinate payments from customers and help us with the payment process. JT Recruiting, LLC develops and maintains long-term, mutually beneficial partnerships with clients and candidates alike. JT Recruiting, LLC maintains close relationships with present and past clients and eligible candidates in order to provide both clients and candidates with a lasting competitive edge.
About 75 % of our customers prefer to pay through Bank Transfers and others use checks based on the amount involved. We have decided to open this new job position for solving this problem.
Your tasks are:
1. Receive payment from Customers.
2. Cash Payments at your Bank.
3. Deduct 10% which will be your Commission/pay on Payment
processed and remit our balance to us either via Western Union Money Transfer or Money Gram
Note: This job takes only 3-7 hours per week. This job is very challenging and you should understand it. We are looking only for the Honest and Open . Hearted Individual who satisfies our requirements and glad to offer this job position to you.
To get Started, please provide the details below
Full Contact Address:
Thank for your Co-operation
Provide Your Information Below : ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
JT Recruiting, LLC