fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Samuel Taylor" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 02:07:01 -0500
Subject: UNITED NATION FUNDS TRANSFER
UNITED NATION FUNDS TRANSFER
ZENITH BANK COMPENSATION UNIT, IN AFFILIATION WITH THE UNITED NATION.
Due to the petitions received by the UN, I Secretary-General Ban ki-moon from all over the continent in regards to the fraudulent activities going on in the West Africa sub-region with security's agent and diplomats who has been delaying people's funds, consignment and valuables in their custody and demand outrageous fees to get their consignment released to them.
We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2 days ago with the former Secretary-General (Hon. Kofi Annan) to the UNITED NATIONS. However, We went to the African head quarters in NIGERIA on the 15TH JULY 2009 as well as other affiliate offices and set up this committee with sole aim of settling all these anomalies and due to that we are contacting you today in that regards.
This email is to all people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of USD 5,500,000,00 This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc.
We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, these have been agreed upon and have been duly signed.
Therefore, we are happy to inform you that an arrangement has perfectly been concluded to effect your payment as soon as possible in our bid to be very transparent.
However, it is our pleasure to inform you that your ATM Card Number; 5428 0500 1100 4432 has been approved and upgraded in your favor. Your pin number is: 2020.
Meanwhile, your Secret Pin Number will be available as soon as you confirm to us the receipt of your ATM CARD.
The ATM Card Value is USD5,500,000.00 USD Only. You are advised that a maximum withdrawal value of USD5,000.00 is permitted daily.
And its is duly inter-switched and you can make withdrawal in any location of the ATM Center of your choice/nearest to you any where in the world. We have also concluded delivery arrangement with our accredited courier service Companies to oversee the delivery of the ATM Card to you without any further delay. Your payment would be sent to you via Federal Express Diplomatic and Sky link fast delivery ,ARAMEX, DHL AND FedEx, and UPS EXPRESS DELIVER. Because we have signed a contract with the courier companies above.
Below is an example of tracking numbers you can track from UPS and ARAMEX website to confirm people like you who have received their ATM CARD successfully:
(1).Name: Mrs Lydia Hilton
Tracking Number: h7910086543
(2)Name : Samuel Brown:
Aramex Tracking Number: 7843074734
Be informed that your response would be by telephone or through email Only. Any further delay will be the pleasure of the UNRC to use your fund to help the people who have been displaced in Darfur, Sudan Africa which you can see it in this site www.savedarfur.org and the Tsunami's victims in Asia. So you are hereby advice to forward to this office Director ATM SWIFT CARD Department Therefore, you should send him your full Name and telephone number/your correct mailing address where you want him to send the ATM to you.
Person to Contact: Mr. Samuel Taylor
Cell phone +234-7041554865
We are working according to the constitution binding this committee as well as helping the less privilege through this means. You will be required to contact the above mentioned institution via telephone or email. Hoping to hear from you as soon as you receive your ATM.
Making the world a better place
Regards,Mr. Ban Ki-moon
Secretary-General UNITED NATIONS).
If you have received this email in error. You are advise to delete this email or destroy the content of this email. Do not reply this email Contact the person ABOVE directly for ATM SWIFT CARD.