fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Jackie Sanders" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:12:16 -0700
Subject: GREETINGS FROM A SICK FRIEND
I am Mrs.Jackie Sanders,a chronic cancer patient, now undergoing medical treatment.
I was married to late Engr M.B Sanders a farmer in ZIMBABWE,
We were married for Twelve years without a child. My late husband Engr M.B Sanders
died on the 24th of April 2009 after Being attacked by militants. I decided not to
re-marry or get a Child outside my matrimonial home, because of my religion.
I have been in the hospital for Eighteen Months suffering
from cancer and related diseases. The 1st and 2nd surgery had been conducted and
I still have the pains in me, crying every day and night looking up to God to
heal me and save my life. Recently my Doctor told me that I may die any time
any day because of complications results from my cancer sickness.
Having known my condition I have decided to donate/Entrust in your care,all my Estate and $7.5 Million
(SEVEN Million FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND America Dollars) which my late husband
deposited with a finance house in London. I want you to use this funds to enrich yourself/family
and utilize this fund very well by helping the less privilege. Like the orphanages,
Old people, homeless. I took this decision because I don't have any child/any
living relation that will inherit this Estate.
I want you to always pray for me as I have no life again says my doctor.
I would be my pleased, to receive your good response and I will contact or
direct you to my late husband's account officer that will help you to receive
this $7.5 Million (SEVEN Million FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND America Dollars).
I want you to assure me that you will use this $7.5 Million for yourself and
Am waiting for your respond through my private E-mail :email@example.com
God bless you and your good family
Mrs Jackie Sanders