fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447024098210 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Malvin Nguyen" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:26:50 -0700
Subject: Re: From Malvin Nguyen>
KAS BANK. Suite 560 Salisbury House
London Wall Broadgate London
EC2M 5NU,United Kingdom
I am Mr. Malvin Nguyen, Credit and Investment Director, Kas Bank, Suite 560 Salisbury House London Wall Broadgate London EC2M 5NU, United Kingdom. I handle all our Investor's Direct Capital Funds and secretly extract 1.2% Excess Maximum Return Capital Profit (EMRCP) per annum on each of the Investor's Capital Funds. As an expert, I have made above US$19.5Million from Investor's EMRCP and hereby looking for someone to trust who will stand as an Investor to receive the funds as Tenure Investment Proceeds.
Brief history of funds: I have more than 208 Corporate Investors attached to my portfolio whose Capital Investment Funds are being managed and administered by me. This Capital Investment Funds has a value of over US$19.2Billion. The US$19.2B is been used for trading in Stock Market, Crude Oil and Lending with Profit Returns. Every end of year, each corporate investor is expected to receive interest from his total Investment Capital Funds. However, I make an excess of 1.2% from the Investor's Investment Capital Funds annually which have exceeded our targeted 20% of Total Investment Capital Funds. This extra of 1.2% from the 21.2% is been retained by me as my personal profits for managing the Capital Investment.
However, I cannot claim these funds without presenting someone to stand as an Investor otherwise our establishment will convert the funds into the Government Treasury Account as unclaimed fund and the fund will be wasted. This is why I contacted you to seek your consent to present you as an Investor/next of kin so that our attorney will process all the legal documents in your name which will enable the bank release the fund US$19.5M to you, then we can share the money 40% for ME 40% for YOU and the remaining 20% for the attorney, as you know this is a deal between me and you and the attorney.
This is a fair deal without any risk attached either on your part or on my part as long as we comply with the laws governing the claiming of funds in our establishment. All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us sees this deal through, and with my position in the bank as a Credit Investment Director, I will do every thing possible to protect your interest and to make sure that everything went successfully.
If you are interested in this deal, kindly send me your complete information, your full names and address, Your Private telephone and Fax numbers, and Cell phone so that the attorney will start processing the necessary paperwork that would facilitate the release of the funds to you.
Mr. Malvin Nguyen.