fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Info" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:25:17 +0200
Attn: Email Owner/Beneficiary,
Following the publication of the results of the online sweepstakes for emails that frequent the Internet.
Your email ID emerged recipient of=500:000:00 Euro selected by automated bollot system.
Batch nr: SPYU6868 / Ref.nr: 5687SPL876.
Contact: Claim Department office,
Tel: +31- 633 968 651,
Fax: +31- 847 549 511.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send: 1. Your Full Names/ Tel/ Gender.......
2. Occupation...... 3. Nationality......
This is a ticket free email program, only emails that frequent the internet within the period under review
emerged through ballot system for various prizes..Once again, congratulations.
Andreea Cocosila [Co-ordinator]
Microsoft/Alliance Inter.Net Award.