fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Gibson Hort." (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 02:42:33 +0530
Subject: FINANCING YOUR PROJECT
United Oversea Financial Organization
23 Colony Krishna Singh Palace, National
Business Plaza Maharashtra India
Are you finding it difficult to pay your bills or are you having problem financing your business project,
do you need financial assistance to do your business transactions? contact us immediately.
United Overseas Financial Organization offers loan of any magnitude of funds, helping business, hospitals, schools,
and all kind of company to stand on their own grounds existence.
We provide loan advisory portal of personal loan, home loan, business loan, mortgage loan, project loan and private loan for builders, hotels, colleges, hospital, companies etc.
Amount applied for must be $20,000 USD to $500 MILLION USD +. our loan interest rate is 3% of the total capital
1. NO COLLATERAL & GUARANTOR NEEDED
2. 100% LEGITIMACY AND ACCURACY
3. LOAN AMOUNT FROM US$20,000 TO US$500,000,000.00
4. FLEXIBLE REPAYMENT
5. TENURE FROM 12 TO 180 MONTHS( 1-20YEARS)
6. INTEREST RATE AS LOW AS 3%***
7. PROCESSING PERIOD ONLY 2 DAYS***
8. MEANS OF COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE.
United Oversea Financial Organization is a world wide organization that gives international loan to any reputable personality/firm that will be able to manage funds. We are affiliated to United Oversea bank Malaysia and Singapore and customers has been enjoying our
service which inspire them to refer more customers to us.
***TERMS AND CONDITION TO BE APPLIED***
1. AGE FROM 21 AND ABOVE
2. ANYONE WITH A GOOD EMPLOYMENT HISTORY, OR PROOF OF INCOME MAY APPLY
Customer must fill the following in orderly manner:
*Purpose of Loan:
*Loan Duration (maximum of 20 years):
On acknowledgment of these details, we will send you a well calculated and
break down of our Terms and Conditions.
Mode of Payment:
* Payment by bank to bank transfer
Note that we provide the best of service to our clients and make transfer
of the loan grant when needed by the borrower.
Mr. Gibson Hort.
This message was sent as an advert from our company's isp data base.
if you don't need a loan please don't abuse this message otherwise kindly
ignore for security reason.