fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: MR NNAMDI AMADI <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 21:43:09 +0100 (BST)
Subject: GOOD NEWS AND A VERY BIG CONGRATULATIONS, YOUR URGENT SMS,RESPONSE AND CALL
UNITED NATIONS OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL OVERSIGHT SERVICES
Internal Audit,Monitoring,Consulting And Investigations Division.Â
FROM THE DESK :Â MRS INGA BRITT AHLENIUS.
DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER: +234-8067022594.
INDEMNITY GUARANTEE FOR THE IMMEDIATE DELIVERY / RELEASE OF FUNDÂ VALUED US$38.5 MILLION IN YOUR FAVOR.
MODES OF REMITTANCE :
(1): BYÂ KEY TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER ( MT 100 SWIFT).
ATTN:Â ESTEEMÂ BENEFICIARY OF US$38.5 MILLION .
This is to Officially inform you that I came to Nigeria yesterday from U.S.A under the UNITED NATION ORGANIZATION Head Quarters Authorization NEW YORKÂ after series of complains from the UNITED NATION ORGANIZATION (UNO) headed by the Secretary General MR BAN KI MOONÂ in Conjunction with FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI)Â and other Security Agencies from ASIA,Â EUROPE, OCEANIA, ANTARCTICA, PACIFICS, AUSTRALIA, AFRICA and USA respectively against the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT of NIGERIA and the BRITISH / EUROPEAN GOVERNMENTÂ and other variousÂ parts of the World for the rate of scams and fraudulentÂ activities going on in the whole World
But right now, You are among the 6 Lucky FORIEGN FIRMS whose Names were Short listed for immediate Payment of their over due Fund of us$38.5 MillionÂ as directed by our UNITED NATION SECRETARY GENERAL ( MRÂ BAN KI -MOON ) which He has taken much of His time and Scrutinized from every EncumbrancesÂ in collaborations with the PRESIDENT OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC of NIGERIAÂ (MR GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN ) ,the INTERNATIONAL MONITORY FUND (IMF), the FEDERAL MINISTRY of FINANCE (FMF) , the FEDERAL HIGH COURT , the OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCYÂ and theÂ ECONOMICS Â and FINANCIAL CRIME Â COMMISSION Â (EFCC) and found out that the inability ofÂ any OFFICE or MINISTRY including the CBN and may other Departments both here in Nigeria and in Europe and many other parts of the WorldÂ not to have been able to deliverÂ or release Your Fund was because ofÂ a RED MARK that is placed on Your Payment File which there is no way and no how any other MINISTRY or OFFICE or
DEPARTMENT can release or deliver Your Fund without the RED MARKÂ which is placed on Your Payment File being removed firstÂ Â and You are very lucky thatÂ the UNITED NATION SECRETARY GENERALÂ headed by MRÂ BAN KI -MOON Â has taken much of His time and Scrutinized from every EncumbrancesÂ in collaborations with the INTERNATIONAL MONITORY FUND (IMF), the FEDERAL MINISTRY of FINANCE (FMF) , the FEDERAL HIGH COURT , the OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCYÂ and theÂ ECONOMICS Â and FINANCIAL CRIME Â COMMISSION Â (EFCC)Â Â and discovered that the onlyÂ solution in which the RED MARK that has been placed on Your Payment File can be removed is for a UNITED NATION NOTARIZATION CERTIFICATE to be issued / obtained on Your NameÂ which Your us$38.5Million Release/ Delivery is 100% ASSURED , RE-ASSURED and GUARANTEED immediately upon the obtainable of theÂ UNITED NATION NOTARIZATION CERTIFICATEÂ Â on Your Name as the EthicsÂ of the Law has mandated to an
IRREVOCABLE MANDATORY COMPULSORY and to NON- NEGOTIABLE by the UNITED NATION SECRETARY GENERAL MR BAN KI MOON whose decision is Final , Unchangeable and Unchallengeable.
I have a very limited time to stay in Nigeria here so I would like you to urgently respond to this message so that I can advise you on how best to confirm your fund in your account or with draw it via ATM depending on Your choice of receiving within the next 72 hours.
Be advised toÂ confirm the requiredÂ information by Yourself to avoid mistake:
Your Names (Surname) Â (First Name) Â (Last Name) .
Your Postal / Mailing Address whereby You need to receive your us$38.5 Million through ATM.
Your complete BankingÂ Information whereby You want to receive Your us$38.5 Million through KTT.Â
Your easy reaching telephone numbers
Occupation, Age and Marital Status
Copy of your passportÂ or driverâs license for Your proper identification.
REPLY TO :email@example.com
For oral discussion, call me on this number which was acquired to Me here in NigeriaÂ by the UNITED NATION ORGANIZATION:+234-8067022594.Â
Have a wonderful day and God Bless you.
General for Internal Oversight.
CELL PHONE +234-806-7022594.