fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Frank Flores" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:07:36 -0300
Subject: UNFINISHED TRANSFER OF FUNDS !
My Dear Friend,
I am happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred
under the co-operation of a new partner from United Kingdom. Although you might
find it difficult to remember me, since it has indeed been quite a long time.
However, I am much elated and privileged to contact you again after this long
time. While it takes faith and courage to remember old friends and at the same
time, to show gratitude to them in-spite of circumstances that may have
disrupted our transaction ultimately not to work out as we projected.
Nevertheless, I take this liberty to inform you that the transaction we were
pursuing then together, finally worked out by the infinite mercy of GOD Almighty
and I've decided to contact you, just to let you know the present situation.
I must inform you also that I am presently in United Kingdom for business
negotiations and establishment and with a sincere heart, I have raised and
signed an International Cashier's Bank Draft, to the tune of $850,000usd in your
name as Compensation for your dedication and humane contribution as it were. I
will be very busy here at the moment because of the investment projects that me
and my new partners are having at hand.
The bank draft is under Mr.Allen West so not also accept any fax or telephone
calls that do not come from him He is the only person I instructed and directed
on how to deliver the draft to you.
Therefore, I implore you to contact him immediately you read this message for
further information on how to receive your draft, for I have conscience as a
human being, and I really appreciated your tremendous effort and contribution
made to make things work out but which we couldn't complete due to circumstances
beyond our control.
In view of this, you are to contact Mr.Allen West and below is his contact.
Apex Security Finanace & Security House
Contact person: Mr.Allen West
Note: He is waiting to hear from you so that he can ship the ICBD to your
residence/office address as you may instruct him where to send it to with your
full detailed informations as regards delivery.