fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045704443 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +448701350395 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Jane Okof" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:55:35 -0400
Subject: GOD BLESS YOU
TELEPHONE:+44 70457 04443
We are Diplomatic Corp that holds special and valuable
consignments for reputable clients that are honest and
We work in collaboration with top firms all over the
world as we have earned a name as a service whose
hallmarks in reliability and confidentiality are
International missions, Diplomats, Embassies of the
world have used our services to satisfaction.
A benefactor has mandated me to get someone that can
assist her and her family in retrieving her package
containing some amount of money from a Diplomatic Corp
The benefactor and her children have been confined
only to their country home and all their calls and
movements are monitored, as a result,its absolutely
impossible for them to do anything as regards
retrieving the money.
Their only means of communication is via internet and
you are being contacted because your assistance is
needed in claiming the funds on their behalf.
The amount was accrued from Diamond sales over a
period of six years and its USD75M (Seventy Five
These funds are fully free of any liens, or
encumbrances and are clean, clear and has no criminal
The funds have nothing to do with any form of
illegality and all documentations needed to prove the
source of the funds were submitted when the funds were
being deposited and these documents would prove the
source of the funds and authenticate the fact that the
funds are clean and has no links whatsoever with
either drugs or terrorism.
For your assistance in this transaction,the benefactor
and her Children have agreed to give you 30% of the
total amount of money which is equivalent to US$22.5
Million (Twenty Two Million,Five Hundred Thousand
United States Dollars) and this role simply entails
retrieving the funds on their behalf from the
Diplomats in Europe and all the information needed to
claim the funds would be sent to you as soon as you
indicate your interest in assisting them as well as
providing the following information to facilitate the
smooth conclusion of the transaction..
1) Your Full Name: ___________________________
2) Your Address:_______________________________
3) Your Telephone Number:_______________________
4) Your Fax Number: __________________________
5) Your Mobile Number:_____________________________
6) The Name of the Closest Airport to your City of
7) Your Age:___________
CALL ME ON:+44 70457 04443
I await your response Urgently.