fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:14:31 +0100
Nice to meet you,
How are you and how is your work? i hope that all is well with you, My
name is Miss vera. know that you may be surprise how i get your email,
i got your email today when i was browsing looking for honest
partner,then i feel to drop this few line to you , and i will like you
to contact me through my email so that we can know each other and
exchange our pictures, and we may become partner.
Remember the distance does not matter what matters is the love we
share with each other. i am waiting to hear from you soon.
kiss regards Miss vera.(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Prazer em conhece-lo,
Como voce está e como é seu trabalho? Espero que tudo esteja bem com
voce, Meu nome é Miss vera. saber que voce pode ser surpresa como eu
recebo seu e-mail, eu tenho o seu e-mail hoje quando eu estava
navegando r procura de parceiro honesto, entao eu me sinto a cair
nesta linha alguns para voce, e eu gosto de voce entrar em contato
comigo através do meu e-mail, para que podemos conhecer uns aos outros
e trocar nossas fotos, e pode tornar-se sócio.
Lembre-se a distância nao importa o que importa é o amor que
partilhamos uns com os outros. Estou esperando para ouvir de voce logo.
beijo que diz respeito a senhorita vera. (email@example.com)