fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr GEORGE WHITE <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 08:11:10 +0900 (KST)
How are you today? I write to inform you that we have already sent you USD$7,000.00 dollars throughÂ Western union as we have been given the mandate to transfer your full compensation payment total sumÂ of USD $850,000.00 via
western union by this governemnt.I was calling your telephone number to give you the informationÂ through phone but I couldn't get through that yesterday even this morning.Now, I decided to emailÂ you the MTCN and sender name so that
you will pick up this USD $7,000. 00 to enable us send another USD $7,000.00 today as you know weÂ will be sending you only USD $7,000.00 per day.Please pick up this information and run to westernÂ union to pick up the USD $7,000.00
and call me back to send you another payment today, My direct phone line is +229 99211482,
Emai( firstname.lastname@example.org ) call or email me once you picked up this USD $7,000.00 today.Â Here is the western union information to pick up the USD $7,000.00,Senders Name: Kent Davis MTCN # 3818208797 TESTÂ QUESTION: COLOR ANSWER:PURPLE Amount : USD $7,000.00Country: Benin-
Republic.I am waiting for yourÂ call once you pick up
this USD $7,000.00,Please email me your direct telephone number because I need to be calling youÂ once we send any payment for the informations. Thanks.Mr GEORGE WHITE.