fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: George Mensah <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: From George N. Mensah Gold Marketing Manager
With great pleasure and gratitude unto God our creator, I wish you the best of this season, and abundant mercies of the Lord, I with all humility and respect, I am hereby informed to you/your organization a full corporate offers for the sale of raw alluvial concentrate gold dust/gold bars. We urgently seek for urgent marketing/ buyers and joint partnership business. We are only local mining, and we are ready to reduce our price from the International price.
Base in the degree of sincerity and trust found in you. If we receive your reply. I will feed you with the relevant information in this gold business (Gold dust) following quantities/quality:
1. Product: au metal (gold dust)
2. Origin: Ghana West Africa
3.Type: Alluvial dust /gold dust
4. Purity: 23+carat or 97.99%
May you give use your prompt response as to the above quotation for the business, and also the quantity of the gold bars or gold dust you will buy. Please if you are ready to buy our Gold, Please kindly contact US back so that we will give you the Details of the Gold, You can find more customers to US we will can deal with Gold.
Looking forward to hear from you soonest.
Mr. George Mensah