fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: peter nancy <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 23:30:17 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Your Letter.
With Due Respect And Humanity, I was compelled to write to
you under a humanitarian ground.My name is Mrs.Nancy Peters . I was born in Baltimore,Maryland,I am married to Mr. Peters George. We were married for years without a child.
He died after a Cardiac Arteries Operation.
And Recently, My Doctor told me that I would not last for the next six months due to my cancer problem (cancer of the liver and stroke). Before my husband died last year there is this sum $8.5 Million Dollars that he deposited with a commercial bank.
Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to any good God fearing brother or sister that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein.I want somebody that will use this fund according to the desire of my late. husband to help Less privileged people, orphanages,widows and propagating the word of God.
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this fund, And I don't want in a way where this money will be used in an un Godly way. This is why I am taking this decision to hand you over this Fund. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going.
I want you to always remember me in your daily prayers because of my up coming Cancer Surgery.
Write back as soon as possible through my email ID (firstname.lastname@example.org) any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another person for this same purpose,Hoping to read from you asap.
God bless you.
Bu e-posta Ok.net sistemleri kullanilarak gonderilmistir.