fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: From Senate <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 06:35:16 -0700
Subject: Complete the transfer to your bank account
Complete the transfer to your bank account
wish to bring to your notice that after Our joint meeting yesterday
with Federal Executive Cancel, financial institutions, accountant
General Of the federation, the Senate house, and House Of
Representatives, We Came with a conclusion and decision to pay every
outstanding payment owned to foreigners were your name happened to be
among to our government dept files which valued is $3,500,000.00 (Three
Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars).
as you can
see in your already set up account with us, We have some of your needed
information which was used for the online account creation with Federal
Bank account, you are now required to complete the transfer of your
approved fund to your bank account which was set up by our FINANCIAL
INSTITUTION inline with our three arms of Government. we will not
tolerate any kind of mistake so it will not attract payment before
completion of your transfer.
Click on the transaction pending below and login in with your correct email details to complete the transfer immediately.
urgent response will be needed once you confirm that your account has
been credited $3,500,000.00 and no payment is required unless your
account was disabled and will need $780 to reset it. You can reach the
SENATE PRESIDENT for help or more information regarding to this. +234