fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Teddy Samson" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:03:03 +0900 (KST)
Subject: PICK UP YOUR MTCN: 9390370958
How are you today? We write to inform you that we have already sent you $5000.00 usd dollars through Western union as we have been given express instruction by United Nation /International Monetary Fund Unit Office to release your wining fund to you through Western Union Money Transfer so we are going to send your total wining fund immediately you confirm that you receive this very payment sent to you today ,via western union.I was calling your telephone number to give you the information through phone but you did not pick up my calls throughout that yesterday or i was call the wrong number?
Now We decided to email you the MTCN and sender name so that you will pick up the $5000.00 usd to enable us send another $5000.00 usd immediately as you know we will be sending you only $5000.00usd per day.and it was agreed that you will pay the sum of $55 before they will realease the payment to you. Please pick up this information and run to western union to pick up the $5000.00 usd and call Director of Operation (Mr.Bab Coker) because he is the person incharge of sending your payment so that he will process your next payment as soon as you confirm you have receive the first payment
sent to you and also send the mandatory $55 US Dollars been our official reconfirming of file
This is his contact details remember to reconfirm your personal information once again.
Director of Operation.Mr.Bab Coker
Call or email Him once you picked up the $5000.00 USD today.Here is the western union information to pick up the $5000.00; which you will be receiving your payment $5000.00 Us Dollars immediately you sent them their transfer charge of $55 and it will serve as re-confirmation of your file payment from the office in charge. So you are to re-confirm your personal information as listed below.
Â Your. Receiverââ
Your. Test questionâ-
Here is the information you need to use to pick your money from any of the western union around you meanwhile you can track it through our official website for confirmation purpose if you wish to track paste our website:https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/transferStatusAction.do?method=load and paste the MTCN: 9390370958Â secondly paste the Sender First Name:Duru and lastly paste theÂ Senders Second Name:Uchechukwu, You are to do this in your computer at home you will confirm for yourself that the money has been sent to you as said.
Sender First Name:Duru
Â Senders Second Name: Uchechukwu
Text Questionâ-Who Is Able?
Amount-----$5,000.00 !! !!
We Are Waitng For You To Send The $55 Today so that you will start receiving your daily payment of $5,000 US Dollars without any delay or problem.
TEXT QUESTIONâHOW LONG?
Be advise that the $55 is a compulsory as they told me that is only money you will pay to start receiving your fund without any hitch or delay,Please email them your direct telephone number and address again because the western union agent office will need to call you each time they transfer your $5,000 daily to you and give you the western union information, this will commence immediately after you have send the $55 US Dollars required from you.
We await your update after emailing the western union agent so we will be aware once you start receiving your fund.