fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "executive governor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031815048 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Allister King"<email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:38:56 -0300
Subject: VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE
FROM THE DESK OF
MERVYN ALLISTER KING
REF: BANK OF ENGLAND/ird/cbx/021/10
ATTENTION : VALUABLE CLIENT
I AM DELIGHTED TO INFORM YOU THAT I AM THE RECENT BANK OF ENGLAND GOVERNOR NEWLY VOTED AND APPROVED BY THE GoVERMENT OF ENGLAND,LEGALLY IN CHARGE OF THE ENTIRE LOCAL BANKS AND ALL THE MICROFINANCE INSTITUTION.
ON BEHALF OF THE GOVERNMENT OF GREAT BRITAIN UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE CIVILAN NEW PRIME MINISTER DAVID CAMERON ,WHOM HAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED ALL OUTSTANDING INHERITANCE/CONTRACT PAYMENT,LOTTERY PAYMENT WHICH WAS OVERDUE BY THE FORMER PRIME MINISTER GORDON BROWN AND AS WELL AS BENEFICIARIES WHOM WERE SCAMMED BY AFRICAN 419 ARTISTS/PERPETRATORS IN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.
NOTE: OUT OF TEN SELECTED BENEFICIARIES APPROVED FOR PAYMENT,YOUR NAME AND YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS APPEARED IN OUR FILE AS THE SECOND BENEFICIARY TO RECEIVE US$10,000,000,00 WHICH HAS BEEN GAZZETED AND TO BE RELEASED, VIA KEY TELEX TRANSFER (KTT) -DIRECT WIRE TRANSFER TO YOU.MEANWHILE, A WOMAN M/S MILINDA WILLIS CAME TO MY OFFICE FEW DAYS AGO WITH LETTER, CLAIMING TO BE YOUR TRUE REPRESENTATIVE. HERE ARE HER INFORMATION:
NAME MILINDA WILLIS
BANK NAME: CITI BANK
BANK ADDRESS: CALIFORIA, USA.
ACCOUNT Number: 6503809428.
PLEASE,DO RECONFIRM TO THIS OFFICE ,AS A MATTER OF URGENCY IF THIS WOMAN IS FROM YOU SO THAT THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT WILL NOT BEHELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING INTO THE WRONG ACCOUNT NAME. IF THIS WOMAN IS NOT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE, YOU ARE REQUESTED TO FILL AND SEND THIS INFORMATIONS FOR VERIFICATIONS PURPOSES SO THAT YOUR FUND VALID 10 MILLION DOLLARS WILL BE REMMITTED INTO YOUR NOMINATED BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DELAY.
THIS FUND IS AS A RESULT OF OVER DUE PAYMENT ON YOUR BEHALF OR AS A SCAMMED VICTIM THAT HAS NOT RECIEVED HIS OR HER COMPENSATION FUNDS BY THE GOVERNMENT OFENGLAND. ON RESPONSE TO THIS NOTIFICATION,MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR THE IMMEDIATE PROCESSING OF YOUR FUNDS TO YOUR GOOD
1. YOUR NAME:...
2. YOUR FULL ADDRESS:..
3. YOUR TELEPHONE....
6. YOUR OCCUPATION ...............
7. YOUR VALID ACCOUNT DETAILS:............
8. A COPY OF YOUR IDENTITY............
AS SOON AS WE RECEIVE THIS, WE WILL COMMENCE WITH ALL NECESSARY PROCEDURES IN OTHER TO REMIT THIS MONEY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY. THE BANK OF ENGLAND,BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND THE SENATE COMMITTEE FOR FOREIGN OVERDUE CONTRACT FUND HAVE APPROVED AND ACCREDITED THIS REPUTABLE BANK WITH THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR,INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE /FOREIGN OPERATIONS,TO HANDLE AND TRANSFER ALL FOREIGN CONTRACT FUNDS THIS FIRST QUARTER
PAYMENT OF THE YEAR.
HOWEVER,WE SHALL PROCEED TO ISSUE ALL PAYMENTS DETAILS TO THE SAID MRS.WILLIS, IF WE DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU WITHIN THE NEXT FIVE WORKING
DAYS FROM TODAY.
WE ARE SORRY FOR ANY INCONVINENCES OR DELAY THAT WE MUST HAVE CAUSED YOU IN TRANSFERING YOUR FUNDS CALL ME DIRECTLY WITH MY OFFICE LINE +447031815048
I REMAIN YOURS IN SERVICE,
MERVYN ALLISTER KING
GOVERNOR, BANK OF ENGLAND .
CC: SENATE PRESIDENT
CC: BOARD OF DIRECTORS [FPD]
CC: ACCOUNTANT GENERAL OF ENGLAND
CC: BRITISH TREASURY MINISTRY
N/B: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO FORWARD THIS NOTIFICATION TO ANYBODY
FOR SECURITY REASONS