fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: MR JOHN MIKE <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:15:42 +0100
Subject: Attention Dear!!! 409
How are you today?I write to inform you that we have already sent you $4000.00 usd dollars through Western union as we have been given the mandate to transfer your full compensation payment total sum of $1.5Million USD,via western union by this government.I was calling your telephone number to give you the information through phone but you did not pick up my calls through out that yesterday even this morning.Now,I decided to email you the MTCN and sender name so that you will pick up the $4000.00 usd to enable us send another $4000.00 usd today as you know we will be sending you only $4000.00 usd per day.and it was agreed that you will pay the sum of $95 before they will release the payment to you.
Please pick up this information and run to western union to pick up the $4000.00 usd and call Director of Operation DR. Douglas Hall because he is the person in charge for your payment so that he can send you another payment today,phone line +229 97554475,Email:(www.wester_11@W.cn) email Him once you picked up the $4000.00 USD today.Here is the western union information to pick up the $4000.00; which you will be receiving your payment $4000.00 Us Dollars immediately you sent them their transfer charge of $95 and it will serve as re-confirmation of your file payment from the office in charge.
So you are to re-confirm to them the below information,
Your. Test question------
And We Are Waiting For You To Send The $95 Today
TEXT QUESTION--HOW LONG?
Be advise that the $95 is a compulsory as they told me that is only money you will pay until you receive your payment completely I am waiting for your call once you pick up this $4000.00 usd,Please email me your direct telephone number because I need to be calling you once we send any payment for the information.
MR JOHN MIKE