fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Samuel Ofori <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Samuel Ofori <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:30:07 +0800 (SGT)
Subject: Alluvial Gold Dust 4Sale.Pls Contact Us?
ATTN: Dear Buyer,
Miners and Exporters Of Native Alluvial Gold Dust
P.O. BOX 15054. ACCRA -NORTH GHANA
Phone: +233-266-286-144 Tele/Fax:233- 21309615
We have alluvial gold dust for sale,if you are interested kindly contact me at email@example.com for more details.We are small scare miners and we also need mining equipments if you can supply us in exchange?kindly inform us.
COMMODITY: NATIVE ALLUVIAL GOLD DUST
QUANTITY : 25 KILOGRAMS AVAILABLE FOR EXPORT
QUALITY & PURITY: 23CARAT Plus & 92% PURITY Plus
ORIGIN: ACCRA GHANA WEST AFRICA
PACKAGE: PACKED IN EXPORT METAL CASE
SHIPMENT: BY AIR CARGO
Please be informed that we don't request for any money whatsoever on air,just visit our site,office and family house and if you are satisfy,we will have agreement draft and we can start with 5 to 10kg shipment for a start,but if you are capable to handle more than that,you will be welcome.But be rest assure that you will have a good deal with us.
Mr Samuel .A.Ofori
Sales Representative for the family.