fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: Selena Damascus <>
Reply-To: <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1988 00:56:54 +0000


I am Miss. Selena Damascus, 20 years old; it is my wish to contact you for a business venture which I want to establish with you in yourcountry. There's huge amount of money Six Million dollars ($6,000,000) my latefather deposit in a security company here in my country before his death.

My late father Dr. Romaric Damascus. acquired this money from his Cocoa farm, My father died as aresult of political problems and there is political problems going on again inmy country Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) I have decided to move this fund from mycountry and to invest this fund in your country for my safety and for thesafety of the fund; please
I need your assistance to move this fund from here to your country for investment.

If you are willing and ready to help me financially, toobtain the legal papers to move the fund to your country, I promise to offeryou 40% of the total sum for your assistance after the successful delivery ofthe fund to your country. After you take 40% out of the fund for yourassistance then the remaining 60% we will invest it in any profitable venturein your country both of us will share the profit from the investment equally.

Please indicate your willingness to help me out save my lifeand this fund out of my problem country and I promise to be honest with you. Iwill give you more details concerning the transaction as you contact me, withyour contact details such as: Your Full Names, Home and Country Address, DirectTelephone Number, Photo.

Best regards,

Miss. Selena Damascus.

Anti-fraud resources: