fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "atm payment department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Chief Remittance Officer" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 22:30:52 +0200
Subject: Dear Beneficiary 24010
Diamond Bank Plc
ATM International credit Settlement.
Directorate of International Payment.
Dear Beneficiary 24010,
This is to officially notify you about your Fund that was suppose to be rendered to you via numerous ways i.e,Courier Companies,Western Union Money Transfers and Banks.Due to this lost of Funds of your's which was suppose to be given to you but failed to.So in this case,a beneficial meeting was held on the 05th of OCTOBER 2011 at the World Bank in Switzerland,which top officials and Central Bank Governors from different countries in the world were present at the meeting. Which they discussed on how your Fund can be given to you without any loss at this time,which you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your ATM payment.In conclusion at the meeting,The President of World Bank Mr.Robert B.Zoellick has strictly authorized 6 Banks in the World to deliver all Funds through courier companies.Fund which is truly $2.8 Million Us Dollars to all beneficiaries in various countries in the world as an
Caja De Madrid/Madrid/Spain.
Diamond Bank Plc/Lagos/Nigeria.
Banco di Santo Spirito/Rome/Italy.
Bank of NewYork Mellon Corp/NewYork/USA.
Each of this Banks are to distribute 30 ATM SWIFT CARDS to every beneficiaries in the World that are to receive their compensation ATM CARD,so this Bank (Diamond Bank Plc) will send you your ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world,but the maximum withrawal is $20,000 Usd per day while minimum withrawal is $5,000 Usd per day.Note that this ATM CARD of your's have been activated and a security pin code number will be issued to you from this Bank as soon as you receive your ATM CARD for a safer withrawal.Please contact the ATM CARD payment department Manager MRS. SHADE PETER by sending your informations to him for an immediate response.Contacts of MRS. SHADE PETER are as below;
MRS. SHADE PETER: Director of ATM payment department Diamond Bank Plc.
Email: => firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Telephone Line: +23470 82005348
NOTE=>: FOR NON APPEARANCES,DO NOT CONTACT MRS. SHADE PETER, IF YOU CAN NOT PAY FOR THE SHIPPING OF YOUR ATM CARD.
Your Full Name:...............
Contact Home/Cell Phone:...................
A Scan Copy of your Identity:.......................
Please be notified that this are the charges you have to pay for the Shipping of your ATM CARD as they are charged Below;
DHL COURIER COMPANY (3 days delivery) Shipping fee: $280
FedEX EXPRESS (2 days delivery) Shipping fee: $355
UPS COURIER SERVICE (1 day delivery ) Shipping fee: $320
For oral discussion,you can reach MRS. SHADE PETER on email or call his office telephone line given to you above as soon as you receive this important message for further directions and also update him on any development from the above mentioned office.Note that is because of impostors, we hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (ATM) so you have to indicate this code when contacting the card center by using it as your subject.
Mrs. Lilian Bryan Armstrong,
Chief Remittance Officer,
Diamond Bank Plc,
And In Respect of The WorldBank, Switzerland.
ATM INTERNATIONAL CREDIT SETTLEMENT (AICS).