fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "robert mueller" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real FBI will not tell you to contact some email address. If you are in any doubt, contact an FBI field office via www.fbi.gov. )
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "FBI / UNITED NATION (UN)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:09:17 +0200
Subject: IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT OF (US$10 MILLION ) WITH AFRICAN
AND EUROPEAN COUNTRIES
Attn: Unpaid Beneficiary
IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT OF (US$10 MILLION ) WITH AFRICAN AND
Sequel to the meeting we have with the African and European leaders
regards to all the payment been owed by the Africa and Europe continents,
the Chairman African Union (AU) with that of European Union (EU) have made
it known to all the beneficiaries been owed by African and European
countries via contract, inheritance, Lottery Winners, during their recent
interview with British broadcasting co-operation (BBC) that all the debt
been owed by the African and European, American, and Asia countries should
be paid to them via EU / AU account with the supervision of the CENTRAL
BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN) , which you happened to be one of them.
You are advice to stop any further communication with anybody and contact
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA officer in-charge
MR BLUE GULF ,
United Nation/CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
Senior Regional Representative.
Direct Tel +234-80-34229298
Your above fund has been approved and deposit into your below stated bank
account which was submitted to this office by your brother. Some petitions
we received made it known to us that some beneficiaries have lost all they
have achieve in their life time due to the way African and European
countries are asking them to pay one charge or the other in regards of
their payment. Be inform that your payment has been approved and transfer
into account provided by your brother ( Mr. Lin Chu Wang)due to your
present health condition and your inability to claim your fund.
BANK OF CHINA
ACCOUNT NO 011877114034549
ACCOUNT NAME LIN CHU WANG
ROUTING NO 7567987904
SWIFT CODE: BOC879349A
Please contact MR BLUE GULF immediately for immediate wire Transfer of
your Payment and also for the collection of your payment Advice (Payment
Slip Or Telex Copy) to enable you confirm your payment in your account
without further delay, he is the only authorized officer in CENTRAL BANK
OF NIGERIA to handle and witness your payment, any other further
communication you have out side his office is at your own risk, and you
are advice to stop making any further payment to any one without UNITED
NATION /CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA representative MR BLUE GULF notice because
he is the only authorize officer in CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA to handle your
payment, you are to receive your payment via African Union (AU) reserve
account number 07524567953 with CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA.
We apologies to you and your company or family for what it mighty has cost
you in the past without receiving your payment upon the charges and taxes
you have paid before. Get back to us immediately you confirmed your
payment in your account to enable us close your payment file with us.