fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Kerry Keister" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:03:34 +0800 (SGT)
Subject: Diplomatic Mrs.Kerry Keister I need your urgent respond now
Iâm Diplomatic Mrs.Kerry Keister I have been trying to reach you on your E-mail about an hour now just to inform you about my successful arrival in John F.Kennedy International Airport with your two boxes of consignment worth 8.5M USD which I have been instructed by NEBRO DIPLOMATIC COURIER SERVICE to be delivered to you. The Airport authority demanded for all the legal back up papers to prove to them that the fund is no way related with drug nor fraud money, I have presented the papers I handed to them and they are very much pleased with the paperâs I presented but the only thing that is still keeping me here is the airport delivery Tag which is not placed on the boxes, one of the Airport Authority has advise that we get the delivery tag so that I can exit the airport immediately and make my delivery successful .I try to reason with them and they stated the delivery tag will cost you just $79 Dollars only to get the two tag placed on the boxes as
that tag will enable me get to your house successfully without any interference,they scanned the boxes and found out that the fund is 100 % spend able and accepted by any bank inthe whole world.
Â as I can not afford to spend more time here due to other delivery I have to take care of in Bangkok. Here are the papers backing the funds togetherÂ as I can accompany you to your bank were you will deposit the fund successfully with these papers. I have i more vital paper with me but I can only present you the hard copy when I reach your house as that itâs the diplomatic rules, such as authorization to deliver.
You can direct the tag fee to our Head Office as they will get it here for you and they are entitled to receive and make any payment to foreign countries authority. DIPLOMATIC MRS.KERRY KEISTER My Benin Number is work here sometimes..+229-6656-7551
GET BACK TO ME IN MY EMAIL NOW; (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Receiver Nwekwu Miracle
Country Benin Republic Â
Amount $ 79 US Dollars
Text Question. Lord
Answer â¦. Jesus.
Your Home address.....................
and you Tell Number...................
because i dont want to do any mistake again.
am waiting for the payment to able me meet up to forward it to Nwekwu MiracleÂ in Benin to obtain the needed paper and forward it to me today
Diplomatic Mrs.Kerry KeisterÂ I need your urgent respond now