fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will advice you " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY." (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:52:26 -0800
Subject: PRESIDENTIAL PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS/VERY URGENT.
OFFICE OF THE CHIEF ECONOMIC ADVISER TO MR.PRESIDENT.
DIRECT TELEPHONE:Tel: +234-8090-718221.
RE: EMERGENCY PRESIDENTIAL PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS/PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS.
Attn: Funds Beneficiary.
This is to inform you that in my capacity as the Chief Economic Adviser to Mr.President that the sum of US$2.5Million(Two Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) has been approved for immediate payment to you with immediate effect by Mr. President Dr, Good luck Jonathan GCFR,we are sorry for the slight delay in the past and reassuring you now that your funds is now ready for immediate payment,please note that we have two modes of payment which you have to choose your preferred choice to receive your funds without delays,please be informed that your transfer will be made through our Consolidated Oil Reserve Accounts with ten(10) major banks around the world and if you are lucky enough to have an account with any of the banks we operate with your transfer then will be more or less a local transfer which will clear within 48hours upon my instructions to the bank to release your funds after Mr.President must have endorse your payment file for final payment approval,chose from the
three listed modes of payment you
(1) KTT bank Wire Transfer,if you wish to receive your funds through Bank to Bank Wire Transfer into your bank account please advise my office immediately and forward your bank account for the transfer.
(2)You can also receive your funds through ATM MASTER CARD hence your funds will be uploaded in ATM MASTER CARD and send to your address in your country which you have to reconfirm to me as soon as you receive this mail.
(3) Your Payment will also be made through Certified International Bank Draft cashiable over your bank counter immediately it is drawn in your name.
Please make your choice of receiving your payment and get back to my office immediately so that by i will quickly process your approved Inheritance/Contract funds and make your Remittance with immediate effect in your name and favor,note that this payment will be revoked after Fourteen working days(14) if we did not hear from you before that date,and also be informed that this payment approval has been gazetted with ref number: FGN/CBN/XX882011,that is your payment code numbers as gazetted by the National Assembly and signed into law by Mr.President Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Sequel to the above be informed that we have concluded that you the funds beneficiary will have to pay the sum of $295 dollars(Two Hundred and Ninty Five Dollars)which will cover the Payment File Processing and Verifications of payment file to our correspondence paying bank payment center in your Country to enable them release your funds with immediate effect based on my direct order and instructions as the Chief Economic Adviser to Mr.President,as soon as i hear from you i will advice you further and as well instruct you on how to send the US$295 Payment File Processing and Verifications fees before our paying bank will credit your account in your favour,your details will be forwarded to the bank and they will contact you to effect the transfer based on my instructions only and at no extra cost of yours.
Urgently looking forward to hear from you and your call as well for more updates on your payment as approved to enable me give instructions for it to be released to you by our paying bank as the Chief Economic Adviser to Mr.President.
Chief Economic Adviser to Mr.President.