fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "MR.AUGUSTINE ZULU" (may be fake)
Reply-To: <>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 18:43:20 +0200
Subject: URGENT BUSINESS PROPOSAL (FROM) CONTRACT REVIEW COMMISSION? Please if after reading my proposal and you are not interested in my offer, please!!! Do not disclose this offer to anybody.THANKS



TEL/0027 71 9093 953 FAX 27 86640 3396/5




My name is AUGUSTINE ZULU member of South African Senate and Deputy Chairman; Contract reviews Commission of the Republic Of South Africa. I was directed by The Chairman to send this urgent proposal to you. The national contract general review of all Federal Unpaid contracts from the Apartheid Era and at the same time authenticates the genuine ones.
The decree that established this commission gave birth to the contract Remittance department of the reserve Bank of South Africa, which works in conjunction with the contract review commission.

This means that any genuine contract payment reviewed and authenticated by this commission would be automated by the contract Remittance Department. It happened that we had a contractor by the name of Thomas Gibson (a Swedish) who was awarded a contract by the South Africa government in 1990.He completed his contract in December 1994 and was given payment approval Order in January 1995. But Mr. Gibson did not live to claim the US$ 26 millions as we learnt that he died in a plane crash in Kenya.
After the death of Mr. Gibson, this commission tried to locate his next of kin who would be beneficiary of the contract money as contained in his contract file. But to our greatest surprise, we learnt that the next of kin Mr. Daniel Lewis was with Mr.Gibson in the same flight that crashed in Kenya. He was also dead.

To add more there was a fire disaster that destroyed the South African Mining Corporation Building on 25th December 1997. (S.A.M.C Building was where the late Mr. Gilbson was awarded contract of the $26 M) during the inferno, all valuables documents including Contract Documents of Late Mr. Gibson were burnt to ashes thereby wiping off all records of his Contracts.
In view of the above general belief, myself and top members of this Commission decided to contact you to act as the beneficiary of the fund and provide an account where we will transfer the fund with the intention of sharing it among us since Mr. Gibson and the next of kin are not alive to claim the money. And if not cleared it will be returned to the government treasury account.

As the top officials of this commission, be rest assured that there is no course for alarm, as we would use your name to transcribe the details of the late Mr. Gibson without any problem. This transaction is 100% risk free.On the confirmation of your interest and readiness to assist us in this transaction I will give you more detailed information and the laid down procedure for a hitch-free transfer, which I am sure you would be satisfied with. When confirming receipt of this message, do not forget include your personal/direct telephone and fax numbers for personalized communication.
However we have mapped out 30% of the US$26 Million for you as a commission for your assistance. While the remaining 70% is meant for the officials and me involve. This money cannot be approved to a local bank account holder here in South Africa, but can only be approved to a foreigner, that has foreign account , that is why I have come to seek your assistance.

Please if after reading my proposal and you are not interested in my offer, please!!! Do not disclose this offer to anybody. This is because we are top and influence officials and do not want our image to be dented, keep it TOP SECRET Anticipating

your urgent response

Regards Senator: AUGUSTINE ZULU

Anti-fraud resources: