fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: MR DANIEL PAUL <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:36:36 +0800 (CST)
Subject: CONTACT DHL DELIVERY COMPANY FOR THE DELIVERY OF YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX TODAY
Happy New Year to you and your familly it is long i had from you what happened are you all write This is to bring you notice that i have register your Funds worth $1.5Musd as a Consignment box with Dhl Delivery Company for delivery to your address.Mind you that i did not tell them that the content of the consignment box is money to aviod any delay or problem with the delivery.I deposited with as a Valuable Goods Material so you do not have to let them know the content of the consignment box for security reason. However,The delivery charges has been paid but i did not pay their official keeping fees since they refused.Reasons for their refusal is because they do not know when you are going to contact them because the keeping fee is $50 dollars per a day,And i deposited it on 6th January 2012 So that is reason why i did not pay for keeping fee and that is only money i was told by the Dhl Company Manager Mr John David that you are going to pay to them
for the immediate action to the delivery of your Cosnignment box by their diplomatic agent.so i want you to contact them as soon as possible for the delivery of your consignment box to avoid increase of their keeping fee. So be advised to contact the Courier Director through this below details and reconfirm to him the information and address where to send the Package to you.Contact Dr.john david,
DHL DIRECTOR GENERAL
PHONE NO .+229-67359342 This are the information needed for easy delivery of your CARD. 1.YOUR FULL NAME_____
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS______
3.YOUR PHONE AND CELL NUMBER____
4.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE____
6.YOUR COUNTRY_____So as soon as you recieved your card do let me know ok, Best Regard
Mr. Daniel Paul