fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +448712565278 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- your information to my personal email addresses (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) as soon as this is (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Richard Leigh Clifford <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:07:49 +0800
Subject: Re: Reply
Please, However strange or surprising this contact might seem to you
as we have not meet personally or had any dealings in the past, I
humbly ask that you take due consideration of its importance and
immense benefit. However, this is not mandatory nor will I in any
manner compel you to honor against your will
With merging of my bank Abn Amro N.V. with Barclay's Bank Plc United
Kingdom, I was made head of service in my department by the Boards of
directors of my bank Barclays Bank Plc London to compile all credit
accounts that has been in operation with the bank under my
department/supervision. Details about the Merging News Visit the Web
Sitebelow:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6469417.stm Through my
compilation of accounts, I discovered a credit account with A/C
N0:NL85ABNA6008341843 and (?7,467,000.00 Euros) deposited, on further
trace came across the file and found out that the account has be
inactive for more than (10) years. The true owner of this funds/
account was Engineer Christian Eich, a German who Ran carmaker BMW's
museum unfortunately lost his Life, including his wife and two
children in the plane crash (Flight AF4590) which crashed on July
31st 2000 killing all 109 people on board. Details About The Plane
Crash Visit The Website Below:
Regarding the short period of Twenty-One (21) working days allowed
confirming and submitting the reports to the Board of directors of my
bank, which may lead to the cancellation or terminating of the
account. I have chosen to seek your consent to work with me as a team
and pull out this fund under the legitimacy as the heir apparent of
Late Engineer Christian Eich.Contact me immediately with you following
Full Contact Address---------------------
Phone No (Mobile) ------------------------
To proceed about the modalities to execute this project/ transaction
forward your information to my personal email addresses
(email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org) as
soon as this is done, I will proceed with the necessary formalities. I
am ready to offer you a reasonable percentage for your partnership
with me get back with your details to proceed
Richard Leigh Clifford