fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "very confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL OFFICE." (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:56:35 -0800
Subject: ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS BEFORE NOW?CALL ME ON PHONE.
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
OFFICE OF THE FOREIGN PAYMENT VERIFICATION PANEL
LAGOS LIASION OFFICE
Re: OUTSTANDING INHERITANCE/CONTRACT/LOTTERY PAYMENT OF US$8MILLION.
I do hereby bring to your notice that your outstanding Inheritance/contract payment with the Federal Government of Nigeria has reached this office for Verification and Updating before it will be released to you if certify and confirmed OK by this Panel headed by me, Anyway, without wasting much time in the course of my Updating and Verifications of your payment file I have personally investigated this payment down to the Ministry were this Inheritance/contract was executed and from my findings it is clear that you did not actual original beneficiary of this funds, from all available information, it looks like some officials in the Ministry were trying to use you to claim this particular funds value which they over invoiced for their own selfish interest. I know it might interest you to know how I managed to find out this truth, yes. I investigated this payment up to the bank that bank where the funds originated and the ministry were this contract was executed and after some c
hecks I was surprise to see that
Based on this I have decided to contact the supervisor that signed the attestation report, on getting to the contract award and supervisory commission I collected the contract attestation report and found out that this document still bears the name: PHILIP CONSTRUCTIONS AND PETRULUIM ENG.PTY as the company that actually owns the funds and unfortunate;y it has folded up as it is no longer Registered with our Corporate Affairs Commissions as a registered Company in Nigeria so they attempted to use you as the next of KIN to the actual beneficiaries of this funds so that you will claim it as the Next of Kin,I kept this to my self and came down to my office and desk, As a matter of fact I have been thinking whether to report my findings to the appropriate body for cancellation of this payment but I have this second thought of contacting you since I am not a saint and in a position to approve this funds for immediate payment as the Chairman of this Panel for the president to give g
o ahead order for the release of
So it is based on this I am writing you, if you will accept with my understated conditions I can normalize all the relevant papers of this Inheritance/contract payment and the funds will be released within 7 working days to you as the rightful beneficiary as i have the power to do that without inhibitions,the Inheritance/Contract Attestation report is not in your name, the funds Ownership Certificate is also not in your name including the Inheritance proof of ownership which is not in your name as well that is why till date you have not been paid this funds as the owner,all this i will do once you accept my under listed conditions and keep it very CONFIDENTIAL as i will get the funds to you within a couple of days as i need part of the funds as well as am due for retirement next year, actually your partners as I should say did a very great work in manipulating almost all the documents to your favor but without result as he is not knowledgeable on this and that is why till da
te you have not received a dime f
Now, I want you to know that, with my position, I will amend all this problems and this money will be paid to your nominated bank account or through ATM Card with just my SIGNATURE and INSTRUCTIONS which both of us will share on a 50/50 % and we will pull money together to amend all the anomalies on the above documents and for the procurement of them on 50/50 basis as well hence that is my only terms and conditions for the successful and fruitful conclusions of this transactions, So if you see it wise and pertinent to get this perfected with me feel free to get back to me via them direct private line:234-8090718221 and email me as well,please note that the above two terms and conditions are not negotiable with you but am 100% assuring you that if you accept to transact this with me be sure that all your past efforts has been answered as i will make it happen within a couple of days.
Urgently waiting for your call and email of acceptance on this.
Amb,Idris Abubakar Sambo Rtd.
Chairman Foreign Payment Verification Panel.