fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "here in united kingdom" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447024033752 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: FACEBOOK LOTTERY BOARD <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:27:07 +0100
Subject: CONGRATULATIONS! !
Welcome to the official site of the FACEBOOK® Seasons
Promotions.FACEBOOK LOTTERY PROMOTION !!!
The Online Consumer Promotions 2012.
European Region Office:
10B Widemarsh Street
London HP1 8HFD,
BATCH NUMBER: FB/8056490902.
REF NUMBER: FB/UK/2012.
We happily announce to you the draw of the FACEBOOK® Lottery Promotions for the year 2012, at our Lotto Draw Headquarters London, United Kingdom organized by FACEBOOK®. This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of GBP.£500,000 (five hundred thousand, British Pounds Sterling).
FACEBOOK Promo Inc. arranged and gathered some of all the E-mail addresses of the people that are active online, among the millions that subscribed to all E-mail Providers most especially Yahoo, Gmail, Gawabmail, AOLMAIL,Hotmail and many other E-mail domain, we only selected Twenty (20) candidates per-annually as our winners through Electronic Balloting System (EBS) without the candidate applying, we congratulate you for being one of our lucky winners. Our winners includes both subscribers and non subscribers FACEBOOK®.
You will definitely receive your money from our bank, without any problem.
FACEBOOK did this in appreciation to encourage people to use there services. You will receive the amount you won, GBP.£500,000 (Five Hundred Thousand, British Pounds Sterling).
PAYMENT OF PRIZE AND CLAIMS:
Your Approval File was sent to London United Kingdom due to we have 3 lucky winners in London, so that you can be cleared and paid simultaneously there.
You are to contact our London United Kingdom Location Claim Office on or before your date of Claim, so that he will direct you on how you will receive your money in London.
FACEBOOK Lottery Prize must be claimed not later than one month from date of Draw Notification after the Draw date in which Prize has won.
These are your identification numbers:
Ticket number: 00545 188 564756,
WINNING NUMBER: FB/575061725.
Serial number 5368/02
Lucky numbers: 17 98 09 67 46
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE;
Simply contact our Customer Service Information Headquarters (C.S.I.H
Department),he will direct you on the bank that will pay you there in United Kingdom, after clarification.
Rev.(Sir) Albert Klein.
Send these following information to the C.S.I.H Department immediately for further procession.
1 Full Name: ............................
2 Telephone Number:......................
3 Contact Address:.......................
4 Date of birth :........................
8 Marital Status:........................
9 Country of Origin:.....................
10 Winning Number:.......................
11 Serial number:........................
12 Lucky numbers:........................
KEEP THIS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR PRIZE MONEY.
NOTE THAT NOBODY OR EVEN THE APPOINTED BANK HAS THE RIGHT TO TOUCH, DEDUCT OR GET ACCESS TO YOUR PRIZE MONEY FOR ANY REASON THEY HAVE BEEN WARNED STRICTLY!
The total amount of money you will receive is GBP.£500,000 (Five
Hundred Thousand, British Pounds Sterling).
For security reasons, we advice all winners to keep this information confidential from the public until your claim is processed and your prize released to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted taking advantage of this program by non-participant or unofficial personnel.
Congratulations once again on your winnings!!!
Yours in service,
Prof. Wilcox Bruce.
If you have questions or wish to claim your prize money kindly contact Rev.(Sir).Albert Klein At...., firstname.lastname@example.org; see the instructions at the body of this message.
Copyright © 2012 FACEBOOK® Promotions!!!