fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: S dayanthkirid S dayanthkirid <email@example.com>
Reply-To: S dayanthkirid S dayanthkirid <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 05:49:10 +0800 (SGT)
Subject: THANK YOU...
I am Mr Adrien James,happily married with two children.I am contacting you for you to assist me in my prospect investment in your country; I have decided to invest outside the shores of my country for the future of my two children (a boy and a girl).
This is the reason why I anticipate for your assistance in the proposed investment over there in your country,I intend to go into the real estate and hotel investment depending on what your professional advice will be.
Please, I have the entire capital base to execute the project.Your quick response shall be highly appreciated.
Contact me through my personal e-mail address: email@example.com, Please i need a trusted and reliable person,
Mr Adrien James.