fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo, United Kingdom; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Charityjadefarag@yahoo.co.uk" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "Charityjadefarag@yahoo.co.uk" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 12:51:00 +0530 (IST)
How are you and how is
your work? i hope that all is well with you, My name is ms Charity ,i
know that you maybe-surprise how i get your email, i got your email
today when i was
browsing looking for honest partner,then i feel to
drop this few line to you , and i will like you to contact me through my
email so that we can know each other and exchange our pictures, and we
may-become partners.Remember the distance does not matter what matters
is the love
we share with each other.Contact me with below email address Charityjadefarag@yahoo.co.uk
Contact me back as soon as possible because i have important thing to share with you.
i am waiting to hear from you soon.
Regards Miss Charity